We’re back! The Food & Event Hall inside Seattle Center Armory is now open from 10am – 6pm daily* for take-out food, as well as restroom access on the Main Level. Please wear a mask to enter the building through the South entrance, and stop by to discover delicious food choices from selected restaurants. Then head outside with your take-out for a picnic on the Mural Amphitheatre lawn, or to enjoy the renovated International Fountain, the Artists at Play playground, open green space, and artwork and gardens across campus. We look forward to seeing you soon!
*Hours of operation subject to change based on state and local guidance
The stately building, newly named Seattle Center Armory, continues to serve generations of visitors -- updating its physical space and peeling back the thick Armory walls to reveal its historic roots. The “Center of the Center” now features fresh, local foods and beverages in our Armory Food & Event Hall. Taste the new savory and sweet offerings, stay for the many cultural celebrations and take in the sights and sounds of Seattle Center on the new 60-foot outdoor deck. The Armory is also home to customer service and Seattle Center administrative offices.
2020 – 2021 Exterior Renovation
During 2020 – 2021, Seattle Center Armory will undergo exterior renovations to restore and highlight several original architectural elements of the façade.
With guidance from the Seattle Landmarks and Preservation Board and as part of the project, non-historic awnings from the building’s west side will be removed, and the exterior will receive new paint, new signage and a new lighting scheme. Additionally, the interior Atrium or “food court” area will be renamed the Armory Food & Event Hall.
Completion of this renovation is scheduled for Fall 2021.
Hours of Operation
The Armory opens every day at 7:00AM and closes at 9:00PM Sunday through Thursday, 10:00PM Friday and Saturday, 11:30PM on New Year’s Eve. The Armory is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Seattle Center Armory History
The Seattle Field Artillery Armory, built in 1939, has stood the test of time, evolving over many years as a community gathering place and affordable family destination. Originally built in 1939 as the old Armory Building, it housed the 146th Field Artillery and its half-ton tanks. The basement of the Armory still has markings from the old firing range and an unfinished swimming pool intended for the recruits. In 1941, Duke Ellington played on stage for the University of Washington's Junior Prom.
For the 1962 Worlds Fair, the Armory was reconfigured into the first vertical shopping mall, called the Food Circus. It just pre-dated Northgate Mall, which was the first indoor mall in the United States. In the early 1970’s, the Food Circus was renamed Center House after some minor renovations. In 1985, the Children's Museum moved into the first floor of the building and expanded their space in 1995, building a giant toy mountain for the newly created Kenneth and Maureen Alhadeff Exhibit Center. At the same time, Center House was renovated and reconfigured to emphasize public programming, such as signature events, free family entertainment and cultural festivals. In December 2000, the Kennedy Center designated the Center House Stage as an Imagination Celebration National Site, only the fifth location in the nation to be designated. Today, over 3,000 free public performances occur in Seattle Center Armory each year.