The Peace Garden is located in the southeast portion of the campus near the base of the Space Needle. It is also directly south of the Chihuly Garden and Glass facility.
It was conceived and built in 1996 by Seattle Center staff. The central feature of the garden is an International Peace Pole. This is one of many such poles placed around the world and is inscribed on its four sides in different languages with the message “May Peace Prevail on Earth”. Other peace related features include an inscribed boulder honoring Seattle peace activist Aki Kurose (1925-1998), and the Middle East Peace Sculpture by artist Sabah Al-Dhaher, 2003.
The garden is composed of many large boulders and cobble stone paths winding through an eclectic collection of trees, shrubs and perennials. Plants of interest in the garden include Pterostyrax corymbosa or Epaulette Tree, Davidia involucrata or Dove Tree and Ceonothus impressus ‘Puget Blue’ or California Lilac (a big favorite with tourists in early summer, when it is covered with tiny blue flowers).